Department of Geophysics, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics,
Charles University, Prague
Mail address: KG MFF UK, Ke Karlovu 3, 121 16 Praha 2, Czech Republic
Home phone: (+420) 241730961
Office phone: (+420) 22191 1215
FAX: (+420) 22191 1214
April 26, 1932
- Graduated from Charles University, Prague, 1956, in Physics,
with honours. Degree corresponding to MS.
- PhD degree from Charles University, Prague, 1961, in Geophysics.
PhD thesis: "Reflected and Head Waves in the Critical Region".
- "Docent" degree, Charles University, Prague, 1966, in Geophysics.
- RNDr degree, Charles University, Prague, 1966, in Physics.
- DrSc degree, Charles University, Prague, 1977, in Geophysics.
Charles University, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics,
Department of Geophysics,
Ke Karlovu 3, 121 16 Praha 2, continuously from 1955.
- 1955-1959: Assistant
- 1959-1966: Senior Assistant (corresponding to Assistant Professor)
- 1966-1987: Docent (corresponding to Associate Professor)
- 1987-present: Professor of Geophysics
- Moscow State University, Moscow, USSR, Postdoctorate Fellow, 1964
- Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada, Senior Killam Research Fellow,
1968-69 (16 months).
- University of Toronto, Canada, Visiting Professor, 1969 (3 months).
- University of Cambridge, England, Senior Research Fellow, 1974 (3 months).
- Univ. Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France, Visiting Professor, 1975 (2 months).
- Universitat Fridericiana, Karlsruhe, Germany, Senior Research Fellow,
1976-77 (3 months).
- University of Alberta, Canada, Distinguished Visitor, 1978 (2 months).
- Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht, Netherlands, Visiting Professor, 1981 (2 months).
- Stanford University, USA, Visiting Professor, 1981 (3 months).
- Consultancy mission to China, Unesco expert, 1984 (2 months).
- J.W. Goethe Univ., Frankfurt a.M., Germany, Visiting Professor, 1984 (3 months).
- Christian-Albrechts Univ., Kiel, Germany, Visiting Professor, 1986 (5 months).
- The University of California at Berkeley, USA, Visiting Professor, 1987 (3 months).
- Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brasil, Visiting Professor,
1989-91 (2 years).
- National Central University, Chung-Li, Taiwan, Visiting Professor,
1994 (3 months).
Areas of research interests:
Seismic wave propagation in complex laterally varying media:
Dynamic properties of seismic waves. Seismic head waves. Reflection and
transmission of seismic waves. Seismic waves in singular regions (critical
region, caustic region, etc.). Seismic body waves in
inhomogeneous anisotropic media.
Asymptotic high-frequency methods in the computation of seismic waves.
Seismic ray method and its extensions. Gaussian beam method. Paraxial
ray method. Dynamic ray tracing. Complete seismic ray tracing in 3-D
structures. Computation of synthetic seismograms in laterally varying
Processing of seismic data:
Interpretation of seismic crustal measurements. Processing of seismic data in
seismic exploration methods. Inversion of seismic reflection data. Applications
of ray tracing and synthetic seismograms. Spectral analysis. Polarisation
Present memberships, etc.
- Foreign member (elected) of the Academia Leopoldina, Germany.
- Member of the Academia Europaea.
- Honorary Membership of the European Association of Geoscientists
& Engineers (EAGE).
- Honorary Membership of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG).
- Member of Seismological Society of America (SSA).
- Scientific awards:
- Beno Gutenberg Medal, European Geophysical Society (EGS), 1997
- Conrad Schlumberger Award,
European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers (EAGE), 1999
- Ernst Mach Award,
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 2001
- Commemorative Medal, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 2002
- Gold Commemorative Medal, Charles University Prague, 2002
- Professional Medal in Physics of the First Degree,
Association of Czech Mathematicians and Physicists, 2002
- Maurice Ewing Medal, Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), 2004.
- Member of Editorial Boards of geophysical journals:
- Russian Geology and Geophysics
- Member of various national and university committees and commissions.
- main page of consortium Seismic Waves in Complex 3-D Structures .
Last update: 14.5.2014